Okay, I love Hallowe'en. So much so that I sometimes use the little apostrophe between the 'e's.
When I was pregnant with my first son, the holiday crept up on me and couldn't think of anything good so I didn't dress up. I was barely pregnant on October 31st the second time around so I lost out again. I'm not going to be pregnant again so it's up to you, my legions of awesome pregnant ladies, to rock the kick ass Halloween costumes!
Here are some neat ideas I found in my usual online trolling:
1. I am incredibly impressed that this woman can pull off a bikini this pregnant. I wouldn't have looked like this. I'll just leave it at that. This one wouldn't really work in colder places but if you live in a warmer climate, you're probably hot anyway so this is a good excuse to let it all hang out. Welcome to Wonderland
2. Is it just me, or does the toddler add to this costume? Lochaven on Flickr
3. When I first saw this I actually thought she was holding a pumpkin. I thought "well, that would be heavy to carry around all the time." Why, yes. Yes it is heavy to carry that around all the damn time. coolest-homemade-costumes.com
4. I think this one would rock even more if your better half had a bit of a gut and he sported the bare belly with you. coolest-homemade-costumes.com
5. I am beyond impressed with how cool this costume is (and how skinny her ass is). funcoast.com
6. Anything that depicts trailer trash in any way, shape or form, will always get a thumbs up from me. christyallbee.com
7. See point six. Just gold. Whirligig Bug
8. Okay, I know this woman isn't pregnant but somebody on Facebook posted this as an idea and I thought it was great. Do the egg part then do a little belly cut-out for the yolk and add the horns for a devilled egg. Clev-ah! devilhalloweencostumes
9. I thought this was such a simple idea but very cool. Ni-Chem on Flickr
10. I loved the idea of tying your costume in to your kid's. How sweet are both these peanuts?! lilsugar.com
11. Okay, there were some costumes that were all axe murderer and they upset me because I'm all stupid and sensitive now that I have kids but, for some reason, I found this one awesome. You may not agree. coolest-homemade-costumes.com
12. This person isn't pregnant (at least I don't think so) but what a great little outfit. Non? coolest-homemade-costumes.com
13. Again, this may fall into the offensive arena for some but it you're twisted like I am, Fat Bastard is a winner. I think this costume comes with an inflatable part that you could half inflate or just ditch. costumecraze.com
14. Nothing, and I mean nothing, would be better than being 37 weeks pregnant and dressing up as Elvis in the Vegas-bring-a-gun-to-the-White-House-drug-years. Costume Finder
15. I loved the movie Juno so I think this is a great idea. Plus, you get to walk around with a giant container of Sunny D. Mama Said We Could Draw
16. Okay, technically I know Quinn from Glee wasn't allowed to wear her Cheerio uniform while she was pregnant but I think a little creative license is warranted here and this would make a great costume. entertainment.ca.msn.com
17. Always classic (like a dog with sunglasses on) and the funny never gets old for me. pregnancy.thefuntimesguide.com
18. I thought this was a great costume for when you're pregnant and couldn't believe I couldn't find any examples online. Humph. adultsantacostume.com
19. Peep? C'mon. Awesome. anniescostumes.com
20. I hope this poor kid never discovers he's used as an example in a pregnancy website but I thought this would be an excellent costume to wear if you weren't ready to share the pregnancy news yet. It might be a little a hard to pee in although, I guess you'd just slide out of it to go. instructables.com
21. This is another great pregnancy disguise but this would also make a fantastic costume if you just wore all red and had the KoolAid face positioned over your belly. Plus, you could crash through walls and scream "oh yeah!!" baltimoresun.com
22. Another great pregnancy cover-up. I think she's a little obvious with the "tissues" line though – I'd put "blow me". homemadesimple.ca
23. I recognise that this is hardly practical but this guy's See's Box of Chocolates costume just blew my mind. He made this damn thing himself. You could make your belly the second one down from your face!! No? Okay, well you can't say I didn't try. makezine.com
24. Love, LOVE this idea. coolest-homemade-costumes.com
25. I saw a few "bun in the oven" costumes but I thought this one was executed the best. You could also just dress up as a chef and put a "bun in the oven" label over your belly similar to the ladies in costumes 9 and 10. Lessons in Patience
A few honourable mentions:
I love Gary Larson and I love this kind of humour. Costumes for Less
I had to include this pregnant Sea Monkey guy because it was just too WTF not to share. My Sea Monkeys are Dying
Whoa. That's all I've got. boortz.com
But wait, there's more!
Here are some of the incredible costumes you've sent along to add to the inspiration!
A brilliant gal named, Caren sent me this wicked costume. In her email she wrote, "My head was supposed to be Jupiter, but it didn't turn out as well as I'd planned. If I were doing it over, I'd make a jupiter hat instead of going the bald cap/face paint route."
It's totally the shitz!!!
Tiffany went as this fab sumo wrestler! She said, "I went as a Sumo Wrestler when I was pregnant in 2008. It was a big hit. I made the "diaper" out of black felt. And.. attach the nipples with something other than masking tape. One of mine fell off during the dance party. :)"
I think going as Charile Brown and Snoopy is just brilliant.
Emily sent me this brilliant "boob" costume. I love it because it's just so simple yet has that "tee hee" factor. She wrote, "I used eye shadow for the areola and a baby bottle nipple for the nipple. I stuck it on with Vaseline, since I was staying home, but I suppose you could use spirit gum and it would stay on really well."
I love this simple, smart costume Danielle sent me. She was 7 1/2 months pregnant and dressed up as a Speed Bump. Comfy and easy. Too bad she was on bed rest so no one got to see it (until now!).
This awesome costume came to me from Piper at Her Ace in the Hole. She wrote: "Last Halloween I found myself HUGELY pregnant, and while I first thought I did not have the energy to come up with a costume, I found myself that night a little jazzed by the idea of a FREE TRAILER TRASH PASS. The whole costume I found in my own home! And I made my own fake cigarette since there were no real ones around - but it looked real!! Notice the tall-boy PBR sticking out of my pocket. That is real. And the Hooters half-shirt. At the Halloween party, a couple of the guys were so freaked out by this costume they couldn't even look my way. The baby was born 2 weeks later and she is now sixteen months old. I'm done with pregnancy and Halloween will NEVER be as fun."
Side note: Check out how nice her skin is. I think I kind of hate her now.
Love this Mike Wazowski costume from Monsters Inc. One of her kids went as Sully, and the other as Boo. Too perfect.
Love, love, love the idea of adding these black velvet cutouts to an orange sweater for an office appropriate costume.
I would have never dreamed of dressing as a Hole In One for halloween, but this is one kick ass costume! I love it and her blog too.
Love this adorable Milkman and the Housewife costume is compliments of Rochelle, Josh, and little Lola (who didn't know she was in on the joke). They won their halloween contest with this creative idea.
See! I knew dressing up as Elvis would look awesome. Thanks for sending it, Laurel!
How easy is this Staples "Easy" button costume? Smart.
Next year I'm going to dress as this wicked costume Brandy made – pregnant or not.
Love this speed bump from Athena!"My husband applied all the masking tape & my Aunt Photo Shopped the cars on"
Clever AND spooky!
I think this troll doll costume Melany sent me (including the belly gem) is brilliant. She made the wig herself with plastic mesh covered in wool roving.
Someone posted this one on a message board and I just had to include it. Just think, if she decides to breastfeed, she has a wonderful nursing outfit that grants her easy access to her breasts. Plus, the jaunty cap would help draw your eye upward to detract from any baby weight she may still be carrying.
What a smart, frugal mother she is! ; )